Golden Globes 2012: Fashion Risk Takers
On Sunday night, all the stars came out for the 2012 Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. It is a fascination of many to see who will be rewarded for, not only their television and cinematic prowess, but also their sartorial accomplishments on the red carpet.
Having the world watching is certainly a daunting idea for any mere mortal gazing upon this elegant world of glitz and glamour and so, I respect starlets who are daring enough to take risks on the red carpet. It is worthy enough of praise to be original with fashion on the street. However, these lovely ladies have to decided to kick off the awards season by showing their eccentric tastes on an occasion as important as this. I applaud these chic women for showing that fashion can, and should be, fun, even at special events like the Golden Globes.
Even though some of these ensembles may have gotten a few of our stars on the worst-dressed lists, it is necessary to be fashionably adventurous because, as we know, the normal show stopping silhouettes can get old. Even still, at this years’ Golden Globes, too many familiar looking dresses left me craving more. Of course Angelina Jolie and Sofia Vergara channeled classic Hollywood beauty in their spectacular frocks, but here, I would like to take the time to examine and congratulate some of the riskier fashionistas of the evening.
2. Homeland star, Morena Baccarin donned a luxurious black dress with sequined side panels and sexy and severe front cutouts
3. Piper Perabo has been getting a lot of flack for her billowing Theory gown but I happen to love it. It is just transparent enough to be intriguing and keep the bottom from looking too heavy. There is also a sheer front panel that tastefully bares without it being too much.
4. Evan Rachel Wood definitely took a risk with this complicated Gucci number but the combination of textures in shades of green works in her favor! The plunging nature of the neckline keeps the dress from enveloping her and her minimal accessories were a good choice for this feathered frock!
5. It was pleasing to see Dianna Agron in this modern and elegant Giles dress. Intricate laser cutouts on the front and a multitude of ruffles looks glamorous and contemporary. She took a risk to wear red on the red carpet and it certainly paid off.
7. Sarah Michelle Gellar definitely looks the part of a fearless fashionista in Monique Lhuillier tie-dye creation. Although there has been much condemnation of this dress, I think it is charming and fun. The look may have been more successful with some different styling- perhaps a sleek bun and red lip?
8. Tilda Swinton is an actress who always gets criticized for her quirky style but not in this Haider Ackermann dress and jacket. She looks elegant and modern while keeping her edgy and ethereal aesthetic intact!
9. Zooey Deschanel looks fun and flirty in her custom Prada gown. She has a sweet, simple style that the dress seems to reflect and it fits her impeccably.
10. I just had to include Jessica Biel on this list because she sacrificed her safe style and wore something unique and noteworthy! Many critics are bashing this dress as matronly but this backless Elie Saab number is the perfect mix of subtle and sexy. And do I detect some transparency in the skirt?
By Sarah Humphries